Friday, July 17, 2009

I made the peon cry...

Just to let you all know, at least for the time being, I'm done with World of Warcraft. I don't know when I'll be back. I don't know if I'll be back. It's just the onset of a burnout phase that might last a little while.

It's honestly been a month since I last logged in anyway over the past couple of weeks I've been toying with the idea of suspending my account. I finally made the decision a couple days ago and my account is no longer active. I wanted to give the peon a hug because he was crying so bad that I left. I felt bad about that. Gotta love those game services that lay guilt trips on you when you decide to leave, don't you?

Anyway, I have a few reasons for leaving WoW. At the forefront of them is Blizzard's increasingly lousy job at balancing classes. I've had enough of overpowered ret pallies running around thinking they're leet because they can faceroll their way to victory. Death knights as well. You are all pathetic. Looking at the situation now, it would be impossible for Blizzard to fix the situation and not piss off a whole lot of their player base which would cost them a pretty good number of players, so a bad decision they made a while ago is screwing game quality but businesswise it's not practical to fix it. I get that. That's one reason I'm saying goodbye.

I have other reasons for leaving too but I'm just going to let them rest. Needless to say, the attitudes of a few people over the last few days of gaming have put a bad taste in my mouth, so I needed to get away from them. Days turned into weeks turned into a month, and I find I don't miss it. I've kept tabs on the guild website over that time and I see that some of the people who I cared about most have decided to throw in the towel as well, so I'm honestly not too broken up about leaving people behind anymore. That's just the way it is.

Finally, I quit because I want to increase my social life. I'm tired of being one of the only single guys in the guild, and I aim to rectify that one way or another. So if I come back it might be alongside a significant other, possibly...hopefully...we'll see.

There's no guarentee that I'll come back to WoW either. I'm starting to check out a couple other MMO's here and there that are in development. I was looking at Star Wars: The Old Republic, but my interest in that game has withered. The community looks like it is dominated by people who are wholly infected by what I call "The Jedi Syndrome" (or the "Sith Syndrome" whichever you prefer). By that I mean that people are beginning to think that Jedi and Sith are the only things that matter in Star Wars, which is bullshit. People have actually been saying that they don't want any kind of space flight or space combat in this new Star Wars game! Seriously?!?! I mean, Seriously!?! That's not even Star Wars, you frickin' jackass! That's D&D with laser swords! On top of that, I think this game is going to be catered towards Jedi and Sith in the end, who are just going to be another version of paladins and death knights.

No thank you.

My current prospect, however, is Final Fantasy XIV. Right now, we know almost nothing about this game except that it's going to have pretty much the same races as they had in FFXI but with an entirely new setting. Hints have alluded that the class system will be changed up, gameplay has had a shift from almost strictly group play to more solo options, and some sort of weapon level up process which sounds kind of interesting. My interest in FFXIV will last depending on what information I find out about it. I am very picky when it comes to MMO's anymore, I have certain expectations before I devote $15 a month any more. We'll see if they can deliver.

Anyway, Call of Thunder is back, but it's no longer just devoted to WoW. Expect to see some Final Fantasy XIV ramblings in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment